Subject: Re: pthreads status in NetBSD/SPARC?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Andreas_Hallmann <hallmann@hallhard.darktech.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/31/2003 15:07:58
> On Dec 7, 2003, at 4:42 PM, Michael Wolfson wrote:

> >On Dec 7, 2003, at 3:42 PM, Greg Earle wrote:
> >
> >>I tried to build SpamAssassin and libmilter (to go with a
> >>Milter-enabled
> >>Sendmail 8.12.8)
> >
> >Dunno about the thread stuff, but spamassassin is a RAM hog.  Each
> >instantiation takes at least 16 MB on my sparc system.  That is, the
> >parent process is 16 + 16 for the first instance when you try talking
> >to it.
                     ^^^^^^^ this can't be added.
OK, 16MB is a realy hurting footprint for something which could be done one
a small machine. But only the first process counts if you use spamd.
Any forked child should use the "same 16MB" plus some pages which are written to.
Using 5 child processes you should end up with a memory consumption of
16MB+5*working_set_of_pages which should be ~ 16MB.

Trust me, i use this config on an SS2 with 64 MB, also running apache and squid.
--
NetBSD: If you happen to have any problem with your uptime.