Subject: Re: sun4c problems again
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/26/2003 19:57:58
On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 08:38:08PM +0100, Chris Amthor wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I gave up. Obviously there is no way to install a "reasonable"
> graphical web-browser on an SS2 running NetBSD 1.6.1.
>
> I've tried installing binary packages, installing from pkgsrc and
> building from native sources.
>
> I`ve tried Mozilla and phoenix, I`ve tried to find skipstone for
> NetBSD, I`ve tried \dots ...
>
> Nevertheless, there are two questions regarding this problem left:
>
> (i)
> The most common error while installing such a software or trying to
> run it is a SIGSEGV.

As already suggested you may be running out of virtual memory (man limit).
The stack and datasize limit is quite low by default on sparc.

But you may also be running into a VM bug that was fixed after 1.6.1.
Please try 1.6.2_RC3 from ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/
(or from ftp://ftp.fr.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/ if you're in europe)

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>