Subject: Re: install kernels w/ built-in md/ramdisk/rootfs
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/29/2003 20:04:56
On 11/29/03 19:46:08, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> ... is it at all possible to compile GENERIC kernels as INSTALL

Nevermind:

I see how it works on the i386 side.  The boot-big.fs contains an
INSTALL kernel which has a static root on* statement and a miniroot FS
which can be loaded by i386 style boot means and the kernel auto
extracts it; however on sparc, the stage 1 loader has to be TFTP'd and
the Kernel has to mount functional root with /sbin/init which can them
prompt of the location of tools.

It would just be nice to be able to skip NFS all together.  I just
feels like sacrilege setting up NFS for any given reason, even on a
private LAN.

If we can get a stage 1 boot via TFTP, why can't we have the state 1
code further TFTP boot an i386 style inst/boot.fs.gz that uses a MD?

Also here's a good /etc/dhcpd.conf snippet for booting a sparc:

[...snip...]
allow bootp;
allow booting;

[...snip...]

# the sparc
host deliverance {
        fixed-address 192.168.1.13;
        hardware ethernet 08:00:20:e0:e1:e2;
        option tftp-server-name "192.169.1.14"; # nfs server
        server-name "192.169.1.14"; # nfs server
        next-server lovebox; # nfs server
        option root-path "/sparcboot"; #path
}

...specify your kernel's name as an argument to OBF "boot net*"

-lava