Subject: Re: SS10 netboot problems
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/25/2003 17:31:22
>Subject: Re: SS10 netboot problems
>To: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
>From: Andrey Petrov <petrov@netbsd.org>
>List: port-sparc
>Date: 11/25/2003 14:00:01
>On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 01:02:57PM -0500, Steven Grunza wrote:
> > A failed sysinst attempt with 1.6.1 has left me with an unbootable
> > disk.  Since I don't have a cdrom drive I need to netboot.
> >
> > I followed various how-to's without much luck.  The boot.net file seems to
> > load but the netbsd.ram file isn't getting read.
>
>Netboot how-to from netbsd.org provides detailed instructions. I'd recommend
>to start from there.

I did.

   The diskless NetBSD referred to above
(http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/) seems to imply that
sparc machines use bootparamd, not bootp.  This is especially true for
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/intro.sun.html which
mentions bootparamd but not bootp.

> > I finally noticed that the serial port mentions "Using BOOTP protocol" but
> > I don't have bootp running; I want to use bootparamd.
> >
> > How can I tell the SS10 to use bootparamd instead of bootp?  It seems
> > someone else is running bootp and I am using their NFS server, not
> > mine.  Of course their server doesn't have the netbsd install image it
> > stops while trying to fetch various netbsd.* files.
> >

>sparc's prom uses bootparam. boot.net and kernel use both bootp and
>bootparam, and they first try bootp. You'll need to disable bootp
>in boot.net and your kernel, I don;t see other way around the problem
>(oh, you can probably disconnect from bootp physically).
>
>         Andrey

This is a chicken-and-egg problem.  I can't build a new boot.net or kernel
until I get NetBSD installed but I can't install until I get a new boot.net
and kernel.  I don't know who is running the DHCP or bootp server that is
causing problems and I can't disconnect them.  The machine that is my
bootparamd server and NFS server is being used by other people so I can't
disconnect it from the network.

Is there anyone who could build a boot.net that would use bootparamd
instead of bootp?