Subject: Re: SS10 netboot problems
To: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
From: Andrey Petrov <petrov@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/25/2003 14:00:01
On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 01:02:57PM -0500, Steven Grunza wrote:
> A failed sysinst attempt with 1.6.1 has left me with an unbootable
> disk.  Since I don't have a cdrom drive I need to netboot.
>
> I followed various how-to's without much luck.  The boot.net file seems to
> load but the netbsd.ram file isn't getting read.

Netboot how-to from netbsd.org provides detailed instructions. I'd recommend
to start from there.

> I finally noticed that the serial port mentions "Using BOOTP protocol" but
> I don't have bootp running; I want to use bootparamd.
>
> How can I tell the SS10 to use bootparamd instead of bootp?  It seems
> someone else is running bootp and I am using their NFS server, not
> mine.  Of course their server doesn't have the netbsd install image it
> stops while trying to fetch various netbsd.* files.

sparc's prom uses bootparam. boot.net and kernel use both bootp and
bootparam, and they first try bootp. You'll need to disable bootp
in boot.net and your kernel, I don;t see other way around the problem
(oh, you can probably disconnect from bootp physically).

	Andrey