Subject: Re: installation of NetBSD on sparc station 5
To: Robert Zalesny <zalesny@kicia.ch.pwr.wroc.pl>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/05/2003 19:57:33
> I have the following problem.  I was given working sun sparc station
> 5 with installed SunOS 5.6 (don't know root password).  Since this
> workstation has 13W3 connector and I have no appropriate adapter I am
> not able to connect my PC monitor with HD15 connector.  [...]

> Now, as you suspect I would like to install NetBSD on the sparc
> station, but the problem is that tapping CNTRL+Pause/Break doesn't
> help me a lot and I don't know how to reach the PROM.  When a
> keyboard is attached this is easy - STOP+A is enough, but I can't
> connect the keyboard!!!!

This is rather confusing.

You have no monitor connected, but do you or do you not have a keyboard
connected?  If you have a keyboard connected, that's probably part of
the problem; it's running with console on the keyboard-and-screen,
except you can't see the screen output.  If you don't, I'm not sure
what the bit about "CNTRL+Pause/Break" is, unless that is supposed to
be something that generates a break condition on the serial-line
software you're using, in which case all I can say is, maybe it's not
working right.

If you really can't reach the ROM monitor (the "ok " prompt) at all,
you might try disconnecting the disk - if it has no boot medium, it
won't be able to boot.  If there's a firmware password set, things are
more interesting; in that case, I would either netboot NetBSD and
change the security-mode setting with eeprom(8) (if it wants to
netboot) or set up a disk on another machine and boot from that (if it
wants to boot from disk).  There are other things you can perhaps do,
but they tend to be riskier.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign