Subject: installation of NetBSD on sparc station 5
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Zalesny <zalesny@kicia.ch.pwr.wroc.pl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/03/2003 11:29:28
Hi folks,

I have the following problem. I was given working sun sparc station 5
with installed SunOS 5.6 (don't know root password). Since this
workstation has 13W3 connector and I have no appropriate adapter
I am not able to connect my PC monitor with HD15 connector. However,
I managed to make a null modem cable due to a recipe given in NetBSD.org
web page. So I connected this sparc station to my FreeBSD box
via null modem cable and 25pin/9pin adapter and run tip
program.
For the first time there were a few errors with file system
on this sparc so on FreeBSD console I was able to see that I have a duplex
(I was able not only to see but also I was able to proceed with booting
by typing ^C and changing the runlevel). If I am wrong let me know about
this. So - I saw that this sunOS box tries to get IP from DHCP server
so I run it on my FreeBSD. Finally I was able to check (by using ping)
that sun station is alive.

Now, as you suspect I would like to install NetBSD on the sparc station, but
the problem is that tapping CNTRL+Pause/Break doesn't help me a lot and I
don't know how to reach the PROM. When a keyboard is attached this is easy -
STOP+A is enough, but I can't connect the keyboard!!!! I would like to
install NetBSD without the monitor via my FreeBSD box.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I will do appreciate any
help.
Best regards
Robert Zalesny