Subject: Re: Monitor adapter?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/16/2003 08:37:58
On 2003.10.16 01:57 der Mouse wrote:

> I recently picked up an alpha machine, a DEC 3000 300X.  It has a
> framebuffer, which drives 1280x1024@72Hz, apparently with no other
> options.  I'd like to use this framebuffer.
>
> However, practically all the monitors I have are Sun monitors.  The
> Alpha has 3BNC output, so it must be using sync-on-green; most of my
> Sun monitors are 13W3, and I don't know what they do for sync,
All Sun Monitors made in the last 10 or 12 years are Sony Trinitron
Monitors. These monitors can do Sunc-on-Green. If they have 5 BNC
connectors just connect RGB and that's it. Some of these monitors are
fixed frequency, some are multifrequency most are multisync. Connect the
Alpha to the monitor and you will see if the monitor can do the
frequency. ;-) Normaly it causes no harm to drive a fixed frequency
monitor with the wrong frequency, if you do it only for a few minutes.

If you have a monitor with 13W3 or SubD15 input you can use an adapter.
I have Sun and SGI multisync monitors and I use them for everything,
Sun, SGI (including SGI monitor on Sun machine and vice versa), Alpha,
PMAX, HP9000, RS/6000, ...
--

tschüß,
       Jochen