Subject: Re: installaion netbsd unsing miniroot.fs
To: Christian Smith <csmith@micromuse.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/26/2003 12:30:45
On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 12:14:12PM +0100, Christian Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Schnubbi wrote:
>
> >hi everybody,
> >
> >i want to install viva miniroot.fs and i only have one harddisk...
> >
> >so when i chose "install netbsd on hard disk"
> >
> >i get the mesage
> >"
> >the root device is not mounted. please mount it.
> >your selected target disk sd0 also holds the current
> >root device. i need to know whether iīm currently running out of the target root
> >(sd0a), or out of a alternate root(say, in sd0b, your swap partition). i canīt
> >tell unless you mounted the root from which you booted read and write
> >"
> >

> >this does say me nothing :-(((
> >can someone help me please?
>
> Escape to a shell, and mount the partition that holds the miniroot. If
> this is your swap partition on sd0b, then:
> # mount /dev/sd0b /
>
> Should suffice.
>
> Exit the shell and try the install again.

I've been trying to work out how to fix this bit of sysinst.
Unfortunately I don't have a test system that can be installed this way.
As well as the problem of identifying the root filesystem (add a sysctl
variable...) there is the problem of ensuring the new disk partitioning
doesn't overwrite the miniroot filesystem.
I'm also interested to know how you get the disk partitioned in the
first place?

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk