Subject: Re: SparcStation 5 cgsix brightness
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Beaker <beaker@myrealbox.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/10/2003 11:25:21
Don't know about a software solution, but you can usually adjust things on =
the monitor if you take its cover off. I did this with an old 19" Sun/Son=
y 13W3 monitor.

***
WARNING: you can give yourself a life terminating shock if you don't discha=
rge the monitor first! I strongly suggest you research you particular mon=
itor before attempting a repair. It may be best to simply take it to a TV=
 repair shop.=20
***

First, discharge the unplugged CRT by shorting the ground pin and the flat =
prongs (do both, one at a time) for at least 30 seconds (I usually do a f=
ull minute). Then take the cover off and look for the adjustment controls=
 on either side of the monitor. The Sony models often have a small screwd=
river-like adjustment tool taped/clipped to the steel shielding. Hook the=
 monitor up to your computer and to the power source, boot the computer a=
nd, being very careful not to touch anything,
try adjusting some of the controls. Only do one at a time and make a mental=
 note where you started so you can return to that spot. Once you get thin=
gs the way you want, power everything off, do the discharge thing again, =
and replace the cover.

On my Sony monitor I was able to increase the brightness some, tweak the re=
d gun and correct some of the vertical/horzontal skewing originally prese=
nt.

HTH,
Beaker