Subject: Re: RAIDFrame and NetBSD/sparc booting issues
To: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/11/2003 20:16:04
	Hello Greg.  I think what you're describing is similar to how Sun's
online: disdsuite works.  They keep multiple copies of the raid component
information in a separate partition, and compare all of the copies of the
databases.  the majority of copies which agree, win the configuration war.
	They make no provision for checking if underlying components have been
written -- leaving that up to the user to verify.  As a result, if it
becomes necessary to boot from one of the components, i.e. because you need
to boot from cdrom, and the cdrom doesn't support Disksuite, then you can
do that.  Then, after you make your change to the single component, you
must make sure to boot from that component in order to make it the "master"
component.  One way to insure this is to disable the other components of
the raid1 set until things are up and going, and you're ready to resync all
the drives.
	Of course, this only works for raid1 sets, and the documentation gives
dire warnings about futzing with raid5 components outside of the raid
environment.

	One variation on this theme, that I could envision working fairly
well, would be to create a new partition type, raid_metadata, which
contains the raid configuration information for all of the raids on a given
system.  This would hold things like serial number, component count, and
mod counter for each raid on the system.  Then, as Greg W suggests, reserve
some space, I prefer a fixed number like 32 or 64 sectors, rather than a
track size for the geometry reasons you allude to, at the end of the
traditional "raid" partition.  In that space, store the traditional
component label, including serial number, component count, and mod counter
again.  Now, if you get a raid partition which has a component label which
has a serial number which doesn't appear in your raid_metadata databases,
you can be pretty sure that that raid partition isn't part of your list of
known raid sets.
	The down side of this arrangement is that you'll have to search for
"raid_metadata" partitions on all drives at boot time, and you'll have to
note how many databases you have, and assign a database serial number to
match them all together.  That might not be bad, though, compared to the
need to search for "raid" partitions on all drives now.
-Brian