Subject: Re: Clueless: netbsd on ss1000?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Irvin Probst <irvin@irvinig.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/10/2003 15:43:16
On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 03:44, sveinns@hi.is wrote:
> I have a sparcserver 1000 (1993 sparc machine, sun4d, XDbus, eight SM51
> processors, about 2 GB RAM, etc.) which does currently not have any
> operating system installed. I am not familiar with this kind of hardware,
> other than having tried to install the various operating systems (other
> than Solaris, no license) with no success.

One of my friend has a Sparccenter 2000 (sun4d too), afaik there are no
free operating system out there with SMP support for that kind of
hardware. We managed to install linux on it without any noticeable issue
-without SMP support- but we haven't tried NetBSD.
Sun droped sun4d support after Solaris 8 but it's not too hard to find a
media kit and it is imho the best choice for sun4d.

--
Irvin Probst
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary