Subject: Re: Clueless: netbsd on ss1000?
To: None <sveinns@hi.is>
From: Adam Kranzel <adam@blacktabby.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/09/2003 21:33:04
On Saturday 09 August 2003 18:44, you wrote:
> I have a sparcserver 1000 (1993 sparc machine, sun4d, XDbus, eight SM51
> processors, about 2 GB RAM, etc.) which does currently not have any
> operating system installed. I am not familiar with this kind of hardware,
> other than having tried to install the various operating systems (other
> than Solaris, no license) with no success.
>
> How would I go about installing NetBSD on this hardware, given that this
> machine has no floppy drive and does not boot from the sparc CD-ROM
> provided on the NetBSD ftp sites? To what degree does NetBSD support these
> machines?

According to the NetBSD/Sparc installation notes
(ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.1/sparc/INSTALL.html#Machines not
supported by NetBSD/sparc), Sun4d machines are not supported at all right
now. I believe Jason Thorpe had aquired some of the hardware, and was working
on support for it at one time. I'm not sure what happened to that effort, but
I assume he just became busy with Real Life and hasn't had time to work on it
for a while.

 -Adam