Subject: Re: Endless tape?
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/31/2003 16:04:43
>>>>> "Matthew" == Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> writes:

Matthew> You have to set an option to get early warning detection-
Matthew> ST_ENABLE_EARLYWARN in your kernel config file, or use 'mt'
Matthew> to set it. Otherwise you go to hard physical EOT.

Matthew> This was a requirement forced on me.

This sounds dumb and counter intuitive.  I have two tape drives here
... one DDS-4 and one 8mil (the 20 Gig native version).  They're both
fairly advanced units that cover off a whole bunch of standards.

In a past life, I used to be the tape support guy for a satillite
imaging package.  In my opinnion, the DDS-4 from HP is the most
compliant drive in the industry.

Neither drive _ever_ signal hard end-of-tape.  Left alone, they simply
lock up the system with endless console messages.

How is this a desireable thing?  How is this an even somewhat
desireable default?

This is just one more thing reminding me why I don't use NetBSD.  I
respect it.  I like many things about it... but the committee making
decisions like this is goofball.

I hate to rant, but in the interim, I bought a SCSI card for my intel
(FreeBSD) box and got my work done.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dave@daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |