Subject: Re: "panic: chgproccnt: lost user" on dual-CPU SS20 with 1.6.1_STABLE
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/27/2003 13:46:15
>     Rebooting with command:
>     Boot device: /iommu/sbus/espdma@f,400000/esp@f,800000/sd@1,0  File and args: netbsd
>     >> NetBSD/sparc Secondary Boot, Revision 1.12
>     >> (woods@proven, Tue May 27 17:35:26 EDT 2003)
>     Booting netbsd
>     2974912+109204+284944 [189600+144611Instruction Access Exception
>     Type  help  for more information
>     <#0> ok

> The only other thing different in some way about these failling
> kernels is that I've been building them on the host whereas the
> original install kernel which does boot but sometimes crashes was
> cross-built from my i386 server.

It's a bit of a stab in the dark, but...is your boot partition entirely
in the first 1G?  (If not, are you sure the machine doesn't have the
6-byte-CDB limit?)

If your cross-built kernel was _copied_ into /, it probably lives
entirely in cg 0, but if your native-built kernels were _moved_ into /,
they quite likely don't.  (Even if they were copied, they still could
wind up with blocks elsewhere.  If you like, I can send you a program I
have that, among other things, can dump out the list of block numbers
occupied by a file.)

Of course, if your boot partition is entirely in the first 1G, this is
not the problem.  Glancing through the booter code, I'm not certain it
could explain a failure at that point in any case, but....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign