Subject: Re: netbsd/sparc firewall
To: Anthony Watters <awatters@comcast.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/27/2003 13:50:19
[ On Sunday, July 27, 2003 at 01:57:53 (-0700), Anthony Watters wrote: ]
> Subject: netbsd/sparc firewall
>
> I have a Sparc 5/170 with built in ethernet (lme0) and an additional
> ethernet card (hme0) , 4GB scsi HD , 256MB of ram , Running NetBSD 1.6.1
> ,KDE 3.1.2
>
> I would like to set this up as a firewall on my network
>
> I found the NetBSD i386 firewall project page , but is there a version of
> firewall software available for sparc?
>
> or a third party (free) firewall software available for for NetBSD/sparc?

What do you want your firewall to be able to do?

I'm running a slightly older NetBSD on an SS5/85MHz with 32MB RAM and a
quad-HME (SUNW,qfe) card (and a pair of 2GB disks).  I'm just using it
as a router and IP Filter based firewall.  It easily handles all the
traffic for my ADSL connection.  I have my own IP addresses for my LAN
so I'm not running NAT on it, though even the 85MHz CPU should be able
to NAT at near 10baseT speeds or better.

You probably don't want KDE installed, and you probably don't even need
a frame buffer and keyboard & mouse unless you've got no other server
which you can use for a serial console connection.

--
						Greg A. Woods