Subject: Re: netbsd/sparc firewall
To: Anthony Watters <awatters@comcast.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/27/2003 09:21:59
Thus spake Anthony Watters ("AW> ") sometime Today...

AW> I have a Sparc 5/170 with built in ethernet (lme0) and an additional
AW> ethernet card (hme0) , 4GB scsi HD , 256MB of ram ,

Hm.

1.  Looks remarkably like my box, albeit with more core and less disk.
2.  What's an 'lme0'? :)

AW> Running NetBSD 1.6.1
AW> ,KDE 3.1.2

why in the world are you running X on your firewall?

AW> I would like to set this up as a firewall on my network

Do it, man.  It's pretty straightforward.  Point your le0 at the outside
world (since, unless you have better than a T1 connection, you'll never
saturate that interface...), and point your hme inside.  I'm fortunate
enough to have a separate firewall/router and I just use the SS5/170 as
a NAT box (nameserver, fileserver, irc server, NIS server, mail
server...).

AW> I found the NetBSD i386 firewall project page , but is there a version of
AW> firewall software available for sparc?

Shouldn't need anything extra.  Just strip down your kernel and your
inetd.conf.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: No Worries!