Subject: Re: SPARCstation 1+ installation
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/21/2003 10:56:40
On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 10:21:20AM +0900, henry nelson wrote:

> Off-topic hardware problem:  Anyone experienced, and hopefully know how
> to fix, an IPC that when you turn on the power switch, the LED turns on
> briefly and the hdd just starts to spin up and then suddenly the machine
> goes completely dead?  You can turn off the power, wait a few hours or
> days and try again, but the same thing happens.

Sounds awfully like a thermally sensitive powersupply problem.
Probably a dry joint or maybe a component that goes open circuit when
it heats up.  Try another PSU in the unit and see if it work.  For
what it is worth, I have not seen many PSU problems with IPC's - they
were a pretty reliable machine apart from the original 207Mb hard disks.

--
Brett Lymn