Subject: Frustrating 1.6 and on on late model sun4m machines.... why?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: None <Robertdkeys@aol.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/19/2003 20:52:33
I seem to be running into a problem on all my sun4m machines
(ss5, ss20, for example), with NetBSD-1.6 and up through current
not installing on machines with cdroms, due to what appears to
be a cdrom error (cd0: esp0: timed out, ) followed by a  bus error
(esp0: invalid state: 6), after the initial boot kernel comes up and
the install requests the rest of the cdrom boot fs to be read in,
then it reverts back to requesting the boot fs to be read in again,
and again, and again, ad nauseum.  This happens on 1.6, 1.6.1,
and currents, but not on 1.5.2 or 1.4.3.  I was initially thinking
a bum nvram chip might be the problem, or maybe a bum cdrom.
But, everything else installs fine off the cdroms in question. and
the nvram info seems ok on reset.  At one point in time I thought
I ran across something suggesting the amount of ram in the machine
might be problematic.  I dropped the ram back to 64mb and it still
has the problem.  Different media was tried and it still has the problem.
Anyone know what might be going on?  At least my old 670MP box
does not have the problem, and is running 1.6T happily.  I just wish
I could get the rest of the sparc farm running likewise.  Any suggestions
are appreciated.

Thanks

Bob Keys