Subject: Re: Serial and SSH - conections over network
To: Maurizio Caloro <mauric@gmx.ch>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/10/2003 20:21:32
Quoting Maurizio Caloro (mauric@gmx.ch):
> i put my sparc now in my garage because its a little too loud :-),
> and i manage it over  the (electric-network stromnetzwerk)
> over ssh and its where good, any my little network 14mbit its fast enough !,
> but any time my sparc after a reboot dont start where fine and i must
> walk to my garage :-( ......

Why would you ever need to reboot?  I've got a sparc 2 out there with
480 days of uptime.

> now my question can i attache the serial device over LAN ??.
>
> can i use it my client machine to manage my server  after a failed
> reboot,
>
> PREMIER i want use Serial and SSH over one lan TP kable ???
>
> is this possible ????

Ethernet != Serial.
You can use the same cables, but ethernet needs 4 wires and serial
really wants 8 (you *might* get away with a 3 wire serial at 2400baud).
But 2 CAT5 cables gives you want you want perhaps.

There are numerous ethernet based serial port devices.  I have a
proper terminal server.  There are 1 and 2 (and 32) port cyclades
devices - you SSH to it and you attach to its serial port.

I've not found garages to be very temperature or humidity stable.
They get hot and humid or cold and wet.  That's bad for machines.
I pulled a Sparc 1+ chassis out of my garage and found rust.