Subject: re: mfs limitation?
To: Steve Rumble <rumble@ephemeral.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/05/2003 14:37:01

   > this is a common problem with "proc.curproc".  when you run
   > sysctl, it changes only change's itself - it's the current
   > "curproc" after all.  you have to run it like:
   >
   > 	#! /bin/sh
   >
   > 	sysctl -w proc.$$.rlimit.datasize.hard=bignumberhere

   	I had tried this earlier as directed by csh(1), but to no avail. That
   command sets the resource limits for the current shell and should be
   reflected in inherited limits by a subsequent sysctl to check the
   current value (which would be reflective of the parent process) no?

hmmmm.... <machine/vmparam.h> for sparc seems to be the limiter:

#ifndef MAXDSIZ
#define MAXDSIZ         (256*1024*1024)         /* max data size */
#endif

try buildng a kernel with

	options 	MAXDSIZ="(512*1024*1024)"

and see if you can get (for instance) 512MB (nearly) mfs...

.mrg.