Subject: re: mfs limitation?
To: Steve Rumble <rumble@ephemeral.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/04/2003 13:58:02

   > Is 247M anywhere near any of your per-process resource limits, by any
   > chance?

   	Apparently proc.curproc.rlimit.{datasize,stacksize}.{soft,hard} =
   268435456. These cannot be altered, neither increased nor decreased.
   sysctl takes values without complaint, however upon checking them again,
   they appear unchanged. This appears to hold true on both of my i386
   machines, where datasize.hard is set to 1073741824 on both the 64mb and
   1024mb machine with one and two gigabytes of swap, respectively.
   Although it's rather pointless to do so, the 64mb machine can mount a
   512mb mfs without issue.
   	Do you happen to know how datasize.hard is limited? Am I missing some
   understanding here? Meanwhile, I'll poke around the code to see what I
   can find.

this is a common problem with "proc.curproc".  when you run
sysctl, it changes only change's itself - it's the current
"curproc" after all.  you have to run it like:

	#! /bin/sh

	sysctl -w proc.$$.rlimit.datasize.hard=bignumberhere

.mrg.