Subject: Re: compat_???
To: sideband <sideband@ameritech.net>
From: Christian Smith <csmith@micromuse.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/24/2003 17:42:50
On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, sideband wrote:

>Hello all.
>
>I'm a HAM radio operator, and I'm trying to get my old SS2 set up to run
>packet radio software (such as XASTIR, and others), as well as running
>SETI@HOME. I've got the SunOS SETI client running, but it's SLOW.. I know..
>it's only an 80Mhz machine... but 9 days for a WU? I blame the SunOS client
>for SETI, based on the fact that the Linux client runs much faster on one
>of my NetBSD i386 machines (up to 40% faster, in fact) than the NetBSD
>client does.

What does top report? SETI is a CPU bound process, and I guess there is
not much emulation to be done when running (in terms of CPU time
percentage.) If SETI is spending 99% of the CPU time, in user mode, then
you're probably running as fast as you can.

When comparing it against your NetBSD i386 machines, are we really talking
about a 386? Or is it a Pentium or later CPU? In CPU terms, SPARC really
do bring up the rear in RISC performance terms.

Christian

--
"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." -John Morley

    /"\
    / \