Subject: Re: I Keep Getting Compiler Errors
To: Chris Amthor <amthor@chroam.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/21/2003 18:26:44
On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 06:19:07PM +0200, Chris Amthor wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 05:33:08PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> [..]
>
> > But these are per-process ressources, and are much lower than system
> > ressources. It's possible that the compiler reach its ressource limits, while
> > there are plenty of ressources free system-wise.
>
> Ah, OK. So I'm gonna try unlimit and see what happens.
>
> [..]
>
> > Yes, basically SS1, 1+, IPC and SLC. I've never had a compiler core dump
> > on SS2/IPX, while a kernel compile die pretty fast on SS1+
>
> Hmm, it does not core dump every time. The errors vary from time to
> time, too. Sometimes the compiler gets SIGSEGV, sometimes it just dies
> with an "internal compiler error" and I get told to "submit a full bug
> report". If the latter occures, the process itself terminates
> gracefully and without a core dump, since the compiler itself detects
> the error, und thus is not killed by the OS.

ha, OK. So these are random core dumps, it doesn't die always at the
same place as I understood it.
I don't think it's a limit problem. Maybe a hardware problem, or
maybe you found a new incarnation of the cache bug which affects the
1/1+/IPC. Other poeples have reported processes dumping code on SS2 too,
but these are not compilers tools, these are long-running processes such
as the X server. It may, or may not be the same bug.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>