Subject: Re: I Keep Getting Compiler Errors
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Amthor <amthor@chroam.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/21/2003 16:49:24
On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 04:39:36PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

[...]

> > I've assigned
> > 256MB swap, but the uppermost use I have observed is about 20MB yet.
>
> Even when the compile stops ?

Yes. The last time the error occured actually no swap was used at all.

> > > Maybe also try 'unlimit' in your shell.
> >
> > What does this do?
>
> It raises all the soft limits to hard limits. e.g.:

[...]

Ah, I see. But I do not think this is a matter of resources. As
mentioned in my initial posting, the system responds pretty well even
while compiling. I use it as a workstation (thus the need for a
webbrowser), und I sometimes keep on working on the machine while I
compile packages. Even X runs without shuffling.

There have been roumors about a bug in 1.6 that could cause this
issue, but AFAIK, this bug only affects systems with SWFLUSH,
i.e. IPC.

cheers,

Chris