Subject: installation questions
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Robert DiRosario <robert_dirosario@yahoo.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/20/2003 15:42:03
I'm trying to install 1.6.1 on a 170 Mhz (Turbo) SS5
and I want to use two disks.  I want root and swap on
the boot disk and /usr on a second disk.  The
installation program only wants to work with one disk.
 Should I just install /usr on the root partition and
then just cp -R it to then second disk or is there
some way to get the installation program to put /usr
on the second disk?   I assume there aren’t any
"special" files under /usr that cp would have problems
with.  (My boot CD is the sparc only ISO image for
1.6.1 from one of the mirror sites.)

Late last night (very late) when I tried to install on
a single disk I got some error message like “boot
block % block size != 0” or something like that.  (Due
to the very late hour I don’t recall the exact
message!)  Do I need to write a BSD disk label before
I try to install NetBSD?  (It’s a Seagate disk with
Seagate microcode.  I do have a Seagate disk with Sun
microcode that I could use, but my RH Linux 6.2 SS20
boots just fine from a Seagate drive.)

The system has the Sun 24 bit non-Sbus framebuffer.
Is it any faster then the TGX framebuffer?  Why is
there not yet a 24 bit driver for the 24 bit
framebuffer?  Is the required documentation not
available?

Once I get some memory for my unused SS20 I’m most
interested in seeing how SMP NetBSD on a SS20 compares
to SMP RH Linux on a SS20.

Thanks
Robert