Subject: Re: First Boot fails!
To: Andrew Obusek <obusek@UDel.Edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/16/2003 21:57:58
On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 03:47:29PM -0400, Andrew Obusek wrote:
> So I should install teh latest 1.5 release to get it to work on my SS1+?

Really, it depends on what you want to do. My ADSL router has been an IPC
for some months (now an IPX, the IPC was a bit short in RAM for mrtg+apache).
In addiditon to the in-kernel PPPoE and NAT, it also did monitor traffic
with mrtg, serving the results with apache, running named, sendmail for
low traffic (as relay for my desktop, mostly), a fetchmail as daemon to fetch
mail from my ISP's server, tin to read news, and a few others things I don't
remember. I got one or 2 core dumps from perl or named, but that's all
(never from sshd or cron for example). Even with the bug it was quite
usable, exept for building packages, where having the compiles dump core
every now and then is irritating.

So if you want to use it as desktop of dev machine, go with 1.5.x
If it's for a router with a few services, 1.6.x may work for you

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>