Subject: Re: sparc GENERIC and NFS_BOOT_BOOTPARAM versus NFS_BOOT_DHCP
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/09/2003 10:13:41
On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 02:46:57PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
  | However would it not make a huge amount more sense to try BOOTPARAM
  | first?  I suspect the PROM and the boot program are always going to use
  | BOOTPARAM, so GENERIC should as well as per diskless(8).

NetBSD/sparc *used* to try bootparams first, and then dhcp, and then
I changed it to the other way around (after consultation with the port
master Paul Kranenburg, as well as Matt Green), to be more consistent
with how almost everything else diskless boots in NetBSD.  This is
documented in the NetBSD/sparc 1.6 install notes.

FWIW: I find that dhcp & tftp is far more reliable that bootparams,
and far easier to debug; rpc.bootparamd in NetBSD has sub optimal
diagnostics.  (Mind you, I found that a NetBSD/i386 box running
rpc.bootparamd was the only way I could get a Solaris/x86 box to
NetBSD a few years ago - the bootparamd on Solaris/sparc would not
work for me at that time).

The simple solution for you is to add an appropriate entry in your
dhcp server configuration.  Or you could maintain local patches to
your sources.

Luke.