Subject: Re: 32-Bit Userland On 64-Bit Machine?
To: Takeshi Nakayama <tn@catvmics.ne.jp>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/25/2003 10:18:00
On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 11:39:06AM +0900, Takeshi Nakayama wrote:
> You need to get /dev/MAKEDEV from sparc64 tarballs. Both sparc and
> sparc64 have same majors, but there are missing items each other
> (ex. wd*).

It's a bug that there are differences. We've tried to keep majors in sync for
a long time now, and we should identify all differences and just make
the MAKEDEV scripts the same. A few additional device nodes can't do any
harm, but will benefit this setup.

Additionally I think we should create a "install (32bit) sparc" option in
sysinst on sparc/sparc64 multi-boot CDs and think about a sun4u-sparc-install
miniroot.fs.gz (which would contain the standard sparc miniroot with a
sun4u INSTALL kernel).

Martin