Subject: Re: DNS and the entry of names.conf (newbie)
To: Maurizio Caloro <mauric@active.ch>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/16/2003 15:22:19
On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 11:11:43AM +0200, Maurizio Caloro wrote:
> i want to start a dns on my Sparc Classic but iam not shure that my
> machine have enough speed,
[...]
> Sparc Classic 50 Mhz
> 80Mb Ram

plenty of speed and RAM for DNS.  :)

> and what ip adresses i write in my names.conf file its my localy or my
> internet adresses.  please can you send my any stupid instruction :-(
> for me (beginner)

it depends who's going to be seeing the DNS server.  you may need to see
both.  to avoid confusion, private addresses shouldn't be viewable from
the public internet.  there a couple ways to accomplish this.

> its my first time for my dns server, and later if the machine grown i
> want use it for a stable mailserver with a one domain.

with private IP addresses it gets a little tricky.  you don't want the
outside world to see the internal IP#s.  one way to accomplish this is
to use two domains, one for internal IP#s and one for external IP#s.
Newer versions of BIND can use the same namespace for two different IP#s
depending on who's asking, but this gets a little complicated.  :)

The comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains FAQ at
http://www.intac.com/~cdp/cptd-faq/ has an in-depth description of how
to set things up.

if you want some printed reading material, the O'Reilly DNS book is
pretty good.  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4/ .

      "It's not fast, but why not?"  --  John Klos on VAX dnet client
  "because it needlessly contributes to global warming?"  --  Paul Vixie