Subject: Re: Sun Classic crahes (NetBSD 1.6)
To: Greg Matthews <gmatt@nerc.ac.uk>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/16/2003 23:26:12
On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 02:16:40PM +0100, Greg Matthews wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 13:26, Marianne Spiller wrote:
> >   all kind of Sun hardware? Or only older machines (like my classic)?
> >

> hmmm... wouldnt like to say, maybe another lister would have more
> authority...?

By default, all Sun machines will drop to the OBP if a break is sent
to the serial console.  I believe that later machines allow you to
change the sequence to something less likely to occur (note, this
quite a new feature iirc).

One method of avoiding inadvertant breaks when the terminal is powered
off is to put a resistor between the rx pin and dsr on the end of the
cable that plugs into the sun.  The idea is to ensure the rx is pulled
to the "idle" state if the power on the terminal goes away - in rs232
idle happens to be a logic "high".

--
Brett Lymn