Subject: Re: Process locked in bppdma
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Amthor <amthor@chroam.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/14/2003 20:16:11
Hi,

\parindent0pt ;)

>    I am a newcomer to NetBSD and I would like to use a Sparc Classic
> as a print server.

What a waste... The Classic is actually too fast to be damned to be a
printserver only. But that's just my personal opinion.

[...]

>    I had a look at kernel source tree, and I plan to build it with
> some debug options, but it will take a while (build.sh is not in the
> source tree !? Then ./build.sh tools fails with :
>
> ERROR: build.sh must be run from the top source level
> *** BUILD ABORTED ***

I've never seen this...

>    well ... I have to learn how to build a NetBSD kernel !)

Building NetBSD is easy. Follow these steps:

(i) Locate And Install The Sources.

Since they reside somewhere outside the pkgsrc tree, try al look at

/pub/NetBSD/$VERSION/source/sets.

on ftp.netbsd.org. Replace $VERSION with the version of NetBSD you
want to build.

Get the file syssrc.tgz and "install" it using

# tar -C / -xpzvf /path/to/syssrc.tgz

Note that the formerly broken sysmlink /sys now points to the accurate
directory /usr/src/sys, thus you can use /sys instead of the full
pathname.

(ii) Configure Your Kernel

Go to your sourcedir:

# cd /usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/conf

Copy the file GENERIC to an file that describes your system,
e.g. PRINTSERVER or SSCLASSIC. For historical reasons, kernel names
are spelled in capitals. You do not need to folow this convention, but
you are strongly advised.

Now edit the file you've just created using your favorite
editor. Since it's plain text, any editor will do.

You now have to build the directory to build your kernel, wich holds
the according information. This is easy, too. Just type:

# config PRINTSERVER

or whatever you chose.

(iii) Build Your Kernel

Now that we have a configuration and a directory, build your personal
kernel. Change to the directory you've just built:

cd /sys/arch/sparc/compile/PRINTSERVER

Follow the advice spit out by config and do

# make depend

And, finally, build the kernel:

# make

The main work is done. Now, have a beer (or Jolt Cola, a cup of goat
milk, whatever you like) and wait. The compiler takes it's time.

(iv) Install The Kernel

Had a beer? Good! Had two? Even better! Had ten beers? Upgrade your
RAM (for your system, yours won't work anyways tomorrow ;)

Now there are two steps left. Copy your new, shiny kernel to /

# mv /netbsd /netbsd.bak
# cp netbsd /

And finally reboot your machine:

# shutdown -r now

You can alternatively press [stop]-[a] ([L1]-[a]) and type "sync" at
the OBP to reboot your machine. Just do this if you are _really_
impatient. Due to the capabilities of the filesystem and the proper
handling of "sync" by the OBP this will work probably without doing
any harm, but be aware that you can easily destroy all your
filesystems by doing so. Just don't do it, though it most probably
will work, or if you _really_ know what you are doing.

Hope I could help,

Cheers,
Chris