Subject: Re: Netzworccard installation !?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/28/2003 13:27:31
On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 10:32:07PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:

> .  (This is
> a comparatively little-known piece of the Ethernet spec; multiple
> interfaces on the same machine may use the same MAC address.)

iirc the ethernet specification says that the MAC address is unique to
the _node_, since most PC's only have one NIC tying the MAC to the NIC
was a valid move.... I think that Sun took a literal reading of the
spec and made the MAC the same on all interfaces.  In later versions
of the boot prom there is a environment variable you can set (the name
of which escapes me at the moment) that will turn this behaviour off
and give each network interface a unique MAC.

--
Brett Lymn