Subject: Re: Problem netbooting an Sparc Station 2
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Volker Borchert <v.borchert@vistecprivat.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/27/2003 10:54:59
In message <20030427011138.40260.qmail@web13507.mail.yahoo.com> you write:

|> Booting netbsd-GENERIC
|> Using BOOTPARAMS protocol: ip address:
|> 192.168.0.4bootparamd: 'whoami' call failed

rpc.bootparamd on the boot server is dead or very slow to answer,
or does not know about the client, or there is another bootparamd
around in your network that does not know about the client and is
quicker to return an answer.

|> bootp: no reply
|> Using BOOTP protocol: ip address: 192.168.0.4,
|> netmask: 255.255.255.0
|> root addr=0.0.0.0 path=/

The GENERIC kernel then tries bootp. It seems that you do not have
a bootp server, which isn't surprising since Solaris (at least v7)
does not come with one. After the bootp request times out, the
kernel tries to continue with what little information it has.

I think this leaves some room for improvement. Either the kernel
should stop immediately when it can't find a bootparamd/bootpd
server, or it should try to find out where the second stage
bootblock was tftp'd from and use that as "root addr", but it
should not try to continue to boot from 0.0.0.0:/ .

	Volker