Subject: bpp and lpd troubles (revisited?)
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: John D. Baker <jdbaker@mylinuxisp.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/03/2003 12:53:11
There was a brief thread a few months back about problems with the
Sun parallel port (bpp) and lpd printing.

I've run into similar problems trying to use my Epson Stylus Color
880 on a SPARCstation 5.  lpd works fine for plain ASCII text, but
has trouble with raw graphics data (either sent to my "raw" printer
or generated via 'magicfilter' as my input filter).

If I let the input filter process the input file (postscript, etc.),
the printer spews out a few pages with one or two random streaks of
garbled graphics and hangs.

If I convert the input file to printer graphics data manually and send
it to the raw printer, it doesn't hang, but it doesn't print correctly
either (acts like extra line/form feeds inserted between rows of data).

'cat'ing the printer graphics data directly to the parallel port works
fine, but at that point 'print services' is out of the loop.

At the end of the previous thread, there was a suggestion that using
LPRng or CUPS in place of the stock lpd might solve some problems.

If anyone has tried either of these, what has been the result?

Thanks.

--
John D. Baker, KN5UKS                      jdbaker(at)mylinuxisp(dot)com
  http(colon slash slash)mylinuxisp(dot)com(slash tilde)jdbaker(slash)