Subject: SS/10 SMP and NetBSD - CURRENT
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/30/2003 18:33:55
I have a SparcSTATION 10 with two Ross Hypersparc 150mhz CPUS.  I've been
running NetBSD 1.5.2 on it for some time.  I read some info about SMP being
possible in -CURRENT so I installed 1.6 last night and am now in the process
of upgrading to -CURRENT.  So far I have compiled, installed, and rebooted
into a new kernel, and I'm waiting for the world to finish.  From what I can
tell of the dmesg output, my new kernel did not boot SMP.  Here are the
relevent details:

uname -a
NetBSD sun.tcbug.org 1.6Q NetBSD 1.6Q (GENERIC) #0: Sun Mar 30 22:14:59 UTC
2003  jpaetzel@www.tcbug.org:/storage/src/sys/arch/sparc/compile/GENERIC sparc

I'm assuming that the Q in 1.6Q means it's a -CURRENT kernel.  Please correct
me if I'm wrong.

dmesg
NetBSD 1.6Q (GENERIC) #0: Sun Mar 30 22:14:59 UTC 2003
        jpaetzel@www.tcbug.org:/storage/src/sys/arch/sparc/compile/GENERIC
total memory = 223 MB
avail memory = 203 MB
using 896 buffers containing 11540 KB of memory
bootpath: /iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/espdma@f,400000/esp@f,800000/sd@3,0
mainbus0 (root): SUNW,SPARCstation-10: hostid 72318828
cpu0 at mainbus0: mid 8: RT620/625 @ 150 MHz, on-chip FPU
cpu0: 512K byte write-back, 32 bytes/line, sw flush: cache enabled
cpu at mainbus0 not configured

I'm also assuming that cpu at mainbus0 not configured is in reference to my
nonfunctioning second CPU.

I've found two different references on the web in regards to NetBSD-sparc
SMP.  The first one states that SMP should work with "most MBus CPU modules"
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/sparc/faq.html#smp-cpus

The second reference is an email from Matthew Green which states that:
hypersparc support is almost certainly busted...

So, I have two questions:  1) Is my system in fact only utilizing one CPU, and
2) Which of the web-resources is correct?  Is there a chance for me to get
this thing to boot SMP or not?

Thanks,

Josh Paetzel