Subject: Re: [Suns-at-Home] [robc@solarflares.net: SPARCServer 2000, anyone want one?]
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/27/2003 16:19:15
> Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 13:17:22 -0500
> From: Rob Cambra <robc@solarflares.net>
> Subject: SPARCServer 2000, anyone want one?
>

> We have one of the machines that ran www.sun.com from about '94-'96,
> they gave it to us when we were redoing their site with our product a
> few years back.
>
> It's big.

it looks something like this?
http://www.poofygoof.com/~agrier/attic/sc2000.jpg

I'm trying to figure out if I can fit one in my basement at the moment.

> It needs 3-phase 220 --L6-30R on it, so you don't *need* to
> hardwire..heh..if that's a factor.

only 30A single-phase 240V, and it actually draws much less than 30A if
you don't fire up the disk trays.

> It has (4) 50 or 60mhz SuperSPARC-(I or II?) processors and 640mb RAM.

the 2000E runs its XDbus at 50Mhz... if this is an un-upgraded 2000,
then it's only 40MHz.  (SM41 MBUS modules.)  or it could be an early
2000, in which case it would be 33Mhz.

> CD-Rom, DAT, various shoe-box diskpacks inside the case, and a bunch
> of differential disks in a shelf we never used.

these heavy trays are the reason the cabinet has the roll-out
stabilizing foot.  ;)  six full-height differential drives per tray.
heavy.

> The only cost is safely removing it from our building.

these can be pushed by two people if some cardboard or masonite is put
underneath.

related is the sparccenter 1000, which is like a mini 2000 with only one
XDBus, and the cray CS6400, which has four XDBuses.

sun4d.  not supported by NetBSD.  (yet?)  :)

      "It's not fast, but why not?"  --  John Klos on VAX dnet client
  "because it needlessly contributes to global warming?"  --  Paul Vixie