Subject: HowTo - Create CDROM and Install sparc64 in 32-bit mode (1.6)
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org, port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: None <mlm@mm-network.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/27/2003 14:29:15
Greetings...

I scoured the internet looking for instructions to do this, finding none,
I figured it out and am posting this to help anyone else trying to do
the same.

My reason for running 32-bit mode on my Ultra 10, is that I was fighting
with PHP4 which doesn't appear to be 64-bit safe.  I saw some patches out
there, but they just don't seem to be enough.  I will gladly move back to
64-bit mode as soon as I find a working version of PHP4.

Mike Marshall
mmarshal@mm-network.com

P.S. I can send the iso image if anyone wants it...

How to create a CDROM and Install sparc64 in 32-bit mode (1.6)

1) Download sparc64 1.6 bootable iso image.

2) Download sparc 1.6 distribution and put in /cdsources/sparc ....

3) Burn the sparc64 iso image onto a CD-R.

4) With sparc64 CD-R in CDROM /dev/cd0, but not mounted,
   dd if=/dev/cd0f of=/root/sparc64.bootcode.img

5) create a directory under your new /cdsources called tools.

6) Download MAKEDEV from sparc64 distribution and put it in /cdsources/tools.
   I found mine here:
   http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/mirrors/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/
src/etc/etc.sparc64/MAKEDEV

7) You should now have the 32-bit sparc 1.6 distribution in /cdsources/sparc ...
   and MAKEDEV from sparc64 1.6 distribution in /cdsources/tools ...

8) cd /root or somewhere you have space for an iso file...
   mkisofs -o output.iso -l -J -r -L /cdsources

9) mksunbootcd
output.iso /dev/null /dev/null /dev/null /dev/null /root/sparc64.bootcode.img

10) now write the output.iso image to a CD-R (ex. cdrecord)

11) Put the new CD-R into the Ultra Sparc, and type:
    boot cdrom

    It should boot off of slice f.

12) When it comes up, select install, setup your filesystem sizes, etc.
    When it comes to package location.. Select cdrom, and change from:
    /whatever.../sparc64/whatever...

    /whatever.../sparc/whatever....  (I'm getting this from memory, can't
remember exact message)

13) It will then proceed to install packages.
14) Root password will fail, because you have booted off of a 64 bit install
kernel
    and it can't run the 32-bit passwd binary... (No Problem...)

15) When you get back to the Install menu, choose 'x' and go to a prompt.

16) Now, we are going to modify for 32-bit kernel...

17) mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0a /mnt
    mount -t ffs /dev/wd0a /mnt2

18) cd /mnt/sparc/binary/kernel
    cp netbsd-GENERAL_SUN4U* /mnt2/.
    cd /mnt2
    gunzip netbsd-GENERAL_SUN4U.gz
    mv netbsd-GENERAL_SUN4U netbsd

19) cd /mnt2/dev
    rm *
    rm -rf a* f*
    cp /mnt/tools/MAKEDEV .
    chmod 755 MAKEDEV
    ./MAKEDEV all

20) Ok... We have now put the 32-bit Ultra Sparc kernel into place and built
the
    proper device nodes for that kernel.

21) cd /
    umount /mnt
    umount /mnt2
    halt

22) ok prompt
    ok setenv boot-device disk:a
    ok boot

23) It will boot up...You are up!!!  Login as root, no passwd!!
    Make sure to set a password immediately.

That's It!!  Hope this will help someone out there.