Subject: Re: What's up with sparc SMP?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/22/2003 00:58:46
On 21.03.03, 15:20:20, Greg Earle wrote:
> Berd Sieker wrote:
> > On 21.03.03, 16:03:26, Bill Meahan wrote:
> >
> > Btw, -current runs fine with SMP on my SS20 (dual SuperSPARC-II, 75MHz).
> >
> >> Whazzup?
> >
> > Easy enough.  2.0 will be the first release to include SMP on any
> > architecture.
> >
> > Such major features are never introduced in minor releases, i. e.
> > between 1.6 and 1.6.1.  Those are only patch releases, that contain
> > mostly bugfixes and occasionally some new, well-tested drivers.
>
> <raises eyebrows>
>
> This is a change.
>
> Back on January 6th, Hauke Fath said 1.7 would be a stable release
> with SMP support.  And later on, Matthew Green confirmed it.
>
> Has 1.7 been abandoned and become 2.0?  Inquiring minds ...

According to all the CHANGES files lying around, yes. I've haven't read
1.7 anywhere in a long time.

See http://www.netbsd.org/Changes/

It was probably felt that Light Weight Processes/Scheduler Actications
and SMP merit the first _Major_ release bump in several years.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD:  Post No Bills.
		-- Greywolf