Subject: Re: Sparc32 on Ultra?
To: Matthew Garrett <mjg59@srcf.ucam.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/13/2003 11:03:58
On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 09:45:43PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
  | I've found that the version of GCC in 1.6's Sparc64 tree really doesn't
  | seem to work terribly well (consumes all memory and falls over trying to
  | compile GNU fileutils if optimisation is switched on, just fails to
  | compile chunks of C++). Is it possible to run a Sparc32 system on an
  | Ultra 1 instead of the Sparc64 code?

Yes.

You can use the "GENERIC_SUN4U" kernel in the NetBSD/sparc port, and
the NetBSD/sparc userland.

I do this on an Ultra5/270.  It did run NetBSD/sparc64, but I found
certain applications (e.g, squid) wouldn't run correctly because of
codegen bugs in the current sparc64 compiler in NetBSD (gcc 2.95).

AFAICT, unless you have specific needs for SPARCv9 instructions,
there's no reason not to use NetBSD/sparc on ultrasparc systems,
since we have 64bit file offsets even there...

Luke.