Subject: Re: BigMac Ethernet out of rx descriptors
To: Volker Borchert <bt@csfps.de>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/26/2003 00:42:19
> If I recall the original post correctly, the machine is doing tcpdump
> on a highly loaded network, therefore the interface is in promiscuous
> mode and the CPU gets to handle all of the traffic without any chance
> to throttle a peer.

In that case you need a faster machine...

Reminds me of some early work on 100M ethernet where we were
evaluating the LAN monitor from 'sniffer' (not the company name,
but you know who I mean).  When we did flood Tx tests (probably from
a quad P100) it was silently dropping random packets - we didn't buy it!

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk