Subject: Re: Powering down SCSI drives
To: None <wysoft@extremecode.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/20/2003 13:19:14
> Is there a way to power down an SCSI disk, as can be done with
> atactl?

I doubt it - but I am also inclined to doubt that atactl can power down
IDE drives.  Are you sure?  Maybe you mean spin down?  All I see in
atactl(8) is standby and sleep modes, which may internally power down
some pieces (like the spindle motor) but don't power down the whole
thing.

> I have a really whiney Sun drive that I want to shut off when NetBSD
> boots :)

Spinning it down should be enough; whines from disk drives are almost
always mechanical, and stop when the disk is spun down.

"scsictl stop" will probably do what you want.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign