Subject: Re: default install from CD
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/18/2003 13:50:30
On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 04:43:26PM -0700, Rick Kelly wrote:
> Greg A. Woods said:
>
> >NetBSD's install on sparc is pretty brain-damaged.  FYI it really did
> >not work very well out of the box for me on sparc64 either.
>
> It appears to be only CD install that has problems. I have installed
> 1.6 on a 4c and a 4m from my netboot server using the custom install
> option, and got everything I wanted.

I did the CD install on my SS5 and it worked fine.

> The problem with default install on sparc is that there are 3 kernels
> to choose from.

I got the wrong kernel, one that didn't support the Sun drive order,
and I did pick SCSI3, which is supposed to be the right one.

> The problem also with the current CD is that sysinst/pax chokes while
> untarring misc or text. This doesn't happen with net installs.

I got misc and text both.

Odd.  I wonder if there are different CD images out there?

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza____________________s h a n n o n@wido !SPAM maker.com