Subject: Re: CG8 emulation on TCX boards
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/15/2003 10:44:38
> When I run the X server, first some messages are printed on the
> screen (in black-and-red (!)) about missing xkbcomp,

Black-and-red is not surprising.  The console output routines use one
of the 8bpp planes, and you're getting whatever happens to be in the
colormap.

> In the lower left-hand corner of the screen appears a strip, about
> 1cm high and about 2/3 of the monitor's displayable width wide.
[...]
> I just read der Mouse's posts regarding Xsun24 etc, and have tried
> using X -cc 4.  It seems to work fairly well, except for the strip at
> the bottom, which functions like a "strip of monochrome"; everything
> in that region appears to turn black-and-white.

> Very Interesting...

Indeed.  That is a failure mode I didn't see.  It sounds to me as
though your X server is not quite clearing all of the X channel.
(Since I think the cg8 doesn't have an X channel, I can't see why it
would be clearing any of it.  Perhaps the area you describe is just
what happened to be lying around in the X channel.)

I don't understand why the driver isn't clearing the xlut correctly; if
it were, the contents of the X channel wouldn't matter.  But I found
that I had to clear the xlut manually after starting the server;
perhaps that's what you need.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign