Subject: Re: smp for ss10
To: KroNiC~BSD <kronic_bsd@fastmail.fm>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/09/2003 11:20:42
On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 02:07:54PM -0600, KroNiC~BSD wrote:
> Good evening gentlemen, I was given a SparcStation 10 with two 40mhz cpu
> modules and was wondering if NetBSD/sparc would work on this machine and
> if so would both processors work with smp? I have downloaded the

Depends which 40Mhz CPUs.

http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick/data/suncpum.html
"1.- The SM-30, SM-40 and SM-50 CPU modules have no integral SuperCache,
and they are not recommended for use in any multiprocessor systems."

If they're SM-41s, I believe the answer is Yes.

> NetBSD/Sparc bootable.iso is this the correct one?

I'm not aware of a sparc iso for NetBSD-current. Since sparc SMP was
only committed to the head of the CVS tree in January, it hasn't yet
been in a formal release.

Probably the simplest method would be:

1. Install from the 1.6 bootable CD you've made.
2. Retreive
ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/current/200301220000/sparc/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.MP.gz
 and put it in /
3. Try rebooting, specifying that kernel.

At that point, you'll be on 1.6 userland and -current kernel, so some
utils like top and ps may not behave well, but you should be able to get
a sense of whether the system boots and runs both CPUs.

If it works well, upgrade userland to -current.

All this stuff in twice the space would only look half as bad!
					      - me