Subject: cg14 doc?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/29/2003 22:25:58
I've got a 20 with a cg14 in it.  I've been hacking on X for a while
and have been getting somewhere.  But now I have a question.

arch/sparc/conf/GENERIC says

# Sun "cgfourteen" accelerated 24-bit framebuffer.

and cgfourteen.c says

/*
 * The following is for debugging only; it opens up a security hole
 * enabled by allowing any user to map the control registers for the
 * cg14 into their space.
 */

But all I can find any documentation on is where to find the various
video planes and register banks.  I find little to no documentation on
what's in the register banks, except for the xlut and cluts.

Does any such exist?  Presumably _someone_ knows something about them,
to have written that comment about how mapping the registers is a
security hole (presumably there's a DMA engine in there or some such,
but you'd never know it from cgfourteenreg.h).  I'd like to make it as
usable as I can....

I'd even be willing to go NDA provided I can open-source the resulting
code.  Anyone know whom to approach at Sun about such things?

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign