Subject: Re: boot vs. boot.net
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Towne <jontow@twcny.rr.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/29/2003 02:52:53
On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:52:56PM -0500, der Mouse scribbled:
# > Because I want to easily switch between "do a netboot" and "boot from
# > local disk".
#
# I have trouble seeing any problem: "boot disk" versus "boot net" seems
# about as easy as it gets to me.
#
# However, I recognize your name, and what I've seen you post makes me
# feel sure that it _isn't_ that simple, for some reason I'm missing.
#
# What am I missing?

FWIW, I wanted to do this with a Sun 3/80 that has a 1gig disk inside it,
but can't boot from the disk.  Instead of doing what I really want, I
simply setup a lot of symlink hackery and I don't reboot the machine..ever.

I'm really interested in this feature, because I do wish to keep the 3/80
going, and the firmware isn't likely to support booting from it anytime soon.

(the concept i'm using is: grab bootblocks over the net, load the kernel
 from there too, and once things get up and running, using nfsroot, then
 mount your local disk on /altroot and symlink things such as /altroot/bin
 to /bin etc, because its faster to load from disk into memory than from
 the network.  go figure ;)

Hope this added something to the conversation; even if it was only letting
someone know there is interest in it.

- Jonathan Towne