Subject: re: boot vs. boot.net
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/29/2003 03:17:51
On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, matthew green wrote:
> if boot.net just works, why not just use it?

Because I want to easily switch between "do a netboot" and "boot from
local disk". My idea thus far was to grab the bootloader via tftp all the
time, and then just hand out one bootloader for net, and one for disk.
Seems that's not that easy.

I wonder if some bootp/dhcp option would make sense to tell the loader
"even if you were loaded from net, continue by booting from disk".

If that doesn't work out I'll try with different kernels next, one that
has "root on disk"  and one with "root on net".

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html
Of course with your #1 IPv6 ready operating system -> http://www.NetBSD.org/