Subject: Re: Help!!
To: James Lees <james@pkl.net>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/27/2003 13:09:57
> Roman TUR</param>I have finally got round to getting the net BSD
> bootable CD and would like to try to install it on my SparcStation
> 20.  Unfortunaltly I dont have a monitor and keyboard from SUN, I am
> using a terminal (Wyse WY60) and there is no STOP key.

If you're using a serial console, the functional analog of L1-A (often
called STOP-A in recent years because the L1 key got relabeled STOP
with the switch from Type-3 to Type-4 keyboards) is a break condition.
Most serial terminals can generate one, though exactly how differs;
sometimes there is a key for it, sometimes it's overloaded onto another
key when (eg) CONTROL is held down....

> "<bigger>You will need to get to the OpenBoot PROM
> ``<bold>ok</bold>'' prompt.

I don't know offhand whether the 20 has old-mode.  If so, there is
some chance that you'll get a > prompt instead of the ok prompt.  If
so, type n at it.  If it then demands a password, and you don't know
it, you'll need to clear the password.  This can be done, but I don't
know of any way to without either (a) booting the machine or (b)
pulling the NVRAM and writing to it independent of the machine.  If you
could do (a) you probably wouldn't be asking what you asked, and
unfortunately I don't know the details of the layout of the settings in
the NVRAM well enough to help with (b), even if you have the skill and
hardware for it.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign