Subject: Re: CDROM drives
To: Christian Smith <csmith@micromuse.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/26/2003 13:58:43
Christian Smith said:

>Do U5/U10/blade have OpenFirmware support for generic 53x8xx based cards?
>I notice that the 375-0005 SCSI card from SUN has no fcode ROM on board.
>Surely SUN wouldn't sell a SCSI card that couldn't be booted from?

Back around 1997 I bought two generic Symbios pci cards that were sold
as cards for Intel boxes. One of these is in 1.5.4 x86 box. The other
card I just dropped into the U5. A probe-scsi shows the disk connected
to the card. This implies, at least to me, that Solaris (and NetBSD)
would boot from this card.

LSI Logic does have separate cards for Intel and Sparc, but they don't
really specify the difference. There is a difference in price.

The sun managers list seems to imply that most generic 53x8xx cards should
work with Solaris from 2.6 to 9.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com